-
September 5th, 2005, 04:31 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi.
I have an old Altec-Lansing speaker enclosure I?m trying to identify, and am hoping that someone can assist. I have a picture of it, but can't post it here. If anyone has knowledge of 1940's A/L speakers, send me an email and I'll send the pic.
I picked this up in the early 1980?s, while working as a house painter. We were working on a house where an older gentlemen had recently passed away, and his old hi-fi was at the curb.
The unit was a nice (but too big) piece of furniture, and contained a turntable, amplifier, and the speaker enclosure. The amplifier was mono, and had a 20 (approx) stop eq switch labeled with record manufacturers (Bluebird, Okeh, etc.). I have to assume that this dates it to the pre-EIAA curve era.
The enclosure is 24" x 11.25" x 10 ", looks like cherry wood, has an approx 9 " driver and a 6 cell 2" x 3" HF driver (seperate from the speaker).
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.
Brgds,
Kevin
[email protected]
-
September 5th, 2005, 08:09 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Greets!
The 700 series is the only old cab that comes to mind at the moment that's close in dims: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page09.jpg
GM
-
September 6th, 2005, 12:00 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Gm,
Thanks so much for the quick and accurate reply.
The 700b in the catalogue is very close to the one I have. The only difference I see is that mine doesn't have the cloth covering across the entire front. It covers 70% of the front (in front of the speaker). The area where the 6 cell horn is positioned is a nice wood veneer. Maybe a year or 2 earlier than your 54 catalogue?
Any idea of the value of one of these, in very excellent condition?
thanks again
- Kevin
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
-
September 6th, 2005, 12:15 AM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Your speaker sounds like an Altec Melodist. Have a look at this URL:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page09.jpg
You can also access the other pages in this catalog from here:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1954-home.htm
-
September 6th, 2005, 01:03 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Steve,
Thanks. From the info from Gm and yourself, I did a little searching and found a picture of my exact cabinet. It's in the 4th graphic down, far right at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-1955-6-Hig...QQcmdZViewItem
It is in a repro 55/56 catalogue.
Mystery solved and thanks to all for all the help.
- Kevin
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks